Distracted By Something Shiny

...scribblings of random musings...

Saturday, March 17, 2007

Smash

It happens every day in this city: cars get broken into. Hell, my window got smashed a few years back when I was living on Treasure Island and my car was actually stolen when I was living in the Upper Haight (it was found a week later about five blocks away). But last night was the first time I actually heard someone break into a car.

It was about 3:30 in the morning, and I heard and loud, echoing BAM outside my window. Then another one, then another one, followed by the inevitable sound of glass breaking. I'm on the third floor and didn't feel threatened but still my heart was beating fast and I didn't dare look at my window for fear that the guy (or guys) would see me. I heard a car door open, some things being thrown to the sidewalk and then about 20 seconds later an engine starting. I looked at my window then to see a white car pull away. I was about to call 911 but figured I was too late and got mad at myself for not calling earlier, but when I first heard the banging I think I was just trying to figure out what the noise was.

Anyway, as if I needed a pre-emptive reminder as to why I live where I do, I found myself on the sidewalk opposite my apartment yesterday afternoon. I was stunned because I'd never seen it from that angle before. I must have looked like a tourist but I couldn't resist taking a quick photo:

I love my apartment. Burglary be damned.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home