Distracted By Something Shiny

...scribblings of random musings...

Sunday, July 09, 2006

Iceland #2

In Reykjavik, the city goes all out on Friday and Saturday nights for the runtur (pub crawl). Pubs, bars and clubs stay open til 5 or 6 am to accommodate the crowds, and it's crazy. I've learned a few things:

BENEFITS IN PARTICIPATING IN AN ORGANIZED PUB CRAWL FOR 2500 KRONUR ($33):
- You get to meet lots of fun people, all travelling like you
- You get to drink as much as you can from 10 to 11 pm
- You get 'free' shots at each pub you hit
- Your entrance fee covered for the dance club you go to

BENEFITS OF STAYING INSIDE FOR THE ENTIRE NEXT DAY AS YOU RECOVER FROM 'GETTING YOUR MONEY'S WORTH' AT SAID PUB CRAWL:
- When you finally leave your guesthouse at 9:30 pm, you don't feel like you've wasted your day because the sun is still out
- You've learned your lesson and return to said organized pub crawl to meet more people, only this time you're limiting yourself to water and soda
- At the second night of the pub crawl, you see familiar faces, and happily discover you weren´t the only one suffering that day

Seriously, despite drinking waaaay to much on Friday (no lectures please) I am having a great time. Had fun doing the pub crawl sober last night, and today I went on a bus tour covering the beautiful "Golden Circle" (including a roaring waterfall and a geyser). And on the tour as well were an Australian couple from last night's pub crawl as well as a guy from Brooklyn who was at Friday's pub crawl. Hey, Reykjavik is small, so of course us tourists/travellers are going to bump in to each other.

I got about three hours sleep last night (I left the club at about 2:30 am, and it seemed the city was just getting started with its night), because my bus tour left at 9 am. Alas I couldn't get to sleep until nearly five, so I'm a bit sleepy. Part of me wants to take a nap, but the other part wants to pop down to a local pub to check out the World Cup. Though I still don't think I'm ready for a pint...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home