Distracted By Something Shiny

...scribblings of random musings...

Friday, November 10, 2006

The Dark

You know what sucks? I pretty much avoid leaving my apartment alone at night at all costs. Won't even go to the corner store if it's dark outside. And whenever I'm out--day or night--I always look over my shoulder to see if anyone's behind me, I only have one earbud in when listening to my iPod, and when going up my steps I always look behind me. It's become like an OCD compulsion almost. And if I do go anywhere, I'll call a cab or time the grabbing of the 22 (the bus a block and half from my apt with real time updates) so I never have to wait more than a minute for it.

This is particularly frustrating now that it gets darker an hour earlier.

OBviously this is because of that pesky little theft incident last April (when I was robbed on my front porch). On the one hand it's horrible because it pretty much makes me afraid of the dark, as the incident took place at night. And it is damn unfortunate that I no longer feel at ease in my neighborhood. But the good news is it is localized. It's not like I never walk alone at night ever. Hell, I'll walk alone at night in New York City...within reason of course.

All that being said, I do realize that while my neighborhood isn't always perfect, it could be A LOT worse. It's not like I live in the Tenderloin or anything. I really like my apartment and while when I do eventually move I hope to be in a better neighborhood, that won't be for a long while. And that's fine.

At least I wasn't robbed during the day. Then I'd be screwed.

3 Comments:

  • At 7:24 AM, Blogger ThatBeeGirl said…

    I imagine the robbery would leave you scared to go out alone, I know I'd feel the same.

     
  • At 1:38 PM, Blogger Olliebur said…

    Demps- that stinks... but I've never(knock on wood) been robbed and I find myself a bit scared to walk in the dark. Can't blame you one bit!

     
  • At 9:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I can imagine what are going through...I was robbed a few days ago and I feel the same way. Im a bit scared when i go out alone specially when its dark outside.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home